Sunday, August 16, 2009

Strengths

"Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion." Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

I have always longed to know the meaning of my life. I always knew that God had something for me, a purpose of some kind. Even as a child contemplating suicide, something just told me, "What if?". I heard that still small voice whisper into my ears words of hope. I've learned so much about myself these past few months and some things are truly amazing. I was put on the doorstep of the gates of death and like an abandoned child, I felt like nothing else was lying in my future. But the gates were not opened...instead a man came to my rescue, a man by the name of Jesus. He picked me up, when my cries were unheard, He lifted me when no one came to hold me. He whispered in my ear a hymn of hope, when no one was available to sing a lullaby. Facing death brought me to really live. I know that I am here for a reason and God isn't done with my life just yet! :)

This weekend I went to a Woman's Leadership Retreat from church and heard many speakers. Every single one of them touched me in a different way. I was able to relate to each and every one of them, as they spoke about life, moms, God, leadership, drugs, abortion, marriage, teen pregnancy, just to name a few. Surrounded by ladies from all walks of life, we were all there for the same purpose. To grow, spiritually. It was not only an eye-opening reflection on myself, but also an invitation to want more for other women like me.

In preparation to this weekend retreat, we read a book called Strengths Finder by Tom Rath. I learned five of my top strengths and the top one was connectedness. It was right on. The author says, "...you can give others comfort that there is a purpose beyond our humdrum lives." (pg. 73) This is absolutely true, hence my blog. I have always felt a need to tell others that there's a purpose for whatever we might be going through, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I recognize when others are feeling blue because I went through it. I see it in their eyes.

Another statement that struck me was on page 169 where he describes Woo, "In your world there are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet -lots of them." When I was younger, I longed for true friendships. I didn't care if it was only one person, I just wanted to know that there was someone out there that I could be totally comfortable with and tell everything to. Someone that would cry with me and lift me up with encouragement whenever I needed it. God has brought such a smile to my face. I am excited because I see how he's brought certain people in my life that have now taken such a special role in it. So I'm giving a shout out to all my old, new and future friends! I LOVE you ALL!

Next was Responsibility...'nough said. I knew this one was one of my strengths, since like forever. No book needed to tell me that! Haha! Responsibility is described here as, "This conscientiousness, this near obsession for doing things right,... impeccable ethics...people look to you first because they know it will get done."

Strategic - " ...you sort through the clutter to find the best route...a distinct way of thinking...you see patterns where others see comlexity...you evaluate potential obstacles...you discard the paths that lead to nowhere...your intuitions are created by a brain that instinctively anticipates and projects..." This one I am really proud of. :) In the past, I thought it was wierd and almost bothersome on why I had to evaluate situations so much in my head before taking the next step. I was concerned about my over-obsessive thinking. I've even joked about how my head is a big library filled with cabinets and files and archived boxes of all my thoughts and memories. I was becoming afraid of my thoughts and wondered the purpose for my 'caring too much'. I just wanted peace. But now I see how God will use this.

And last but certainly not least was Arranger: "In your mind there is nothing special about what you are doing. You are simply trying to figure out the best way to get things done...effective flexibility...From the mundane to the complex, you are always looking for the perfect configuration...You jump into the confusion, devising new options, hunting for new paths of least resistance, and figuring out new partnerships - because, after all, there might just be a better way." Yes, there is ALWAYS a better way! I'm always trying to find out how to do things to prevent hassles later. I learn from my mistakes and figure out a better way to avoid them later. In turn, just like the above strategic way, I analyze and think about paths, routes, and dead ends.

I believe our strengths, our gifts are given to us for a reason. We've been supplied a unique personality, each one individual on its own, and each person has a special importance. We might not all think the same or have the same interests, but there is a reason. We are all bonded by the fact that we can give love in so many, many different ways.

"As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. Whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever." 1 Peter 4:10-11


No comments:

The Happiest Place on Earth

The Happiest Place on Earth

Peaceful Hawaii

Peaceful Hawaii