Saturday, February 21, 2009

Listening to God


I got what I thought was a crippling phone call the other day. It was from our life insurance broker telling me that he could not find a company that would insure me. My body reacted first the way it always does. First, I felt a rush of warmth go through my body finally landing in my heart. Second, a massive uncomfortable knot began to make its way to my vocal cords eliminating my ability to speak. Third, my eyes were conquered with childlike tears…I felt horrible and my first thought was, Nobody thinks I’ll make it through this disease.”

When Hector got home, I didn’t tell him right away. I kept the depressing feeling to myself. I found myself being that person from long ago…the one that would keep things bottled up deep inside; never letting anyone know what was wrong or even letting anyone attempt to help me. It was tough though, to keep it to myself. At bedtime I finally gave in and told Hector that there wasn’t an insurance company out there that would insure my life. You know what his response was? You don’t need any insurance company to insure your life. God has already done that for you.” That was all he said in the darkness of the room before falling asleep. Lingering in the calmness of his voice I closed my eyes and prayed. I gave thanks to God because He was able to speak to me with such simple words yet they filled me with substantial security and peace. I slept so well that night.

Sometimes God speaks to us through many different means. I’m glad He uses my husband to speak to me at times, but it’s not always Hector that He uses…Sometimes it comes from children or even through prayer. Sometimes He speaks to me through pictures or words or even movies. I pray that I will always listen to His voice. So many times before I was lost asking to hear His voice but never realizing that all I had to do was listen.
"But whoever listens to Me will dwell safely, And will be secure, without fear of evil." Proverbs 1:33

1 comment:

Teddybear said...

Lizzy it is in that small still voice that we hear Him. In our quiet times with Him. My prayers continue for you. Blessings Deb.

The Happiest Place on Earth

The Happiest Place on Earth

Peaceful Hawaii

Peaceful Hawaii